This very simple program was written in response to some data protection concerns at a school I work for. Teachers were logging onto machines all over the place and walking away. Locking the PCs was not an option as other people could not then use them.
- Copy autologout.scr to %systemroot%\system32.
- Create an (optional) logo.bmp file in %systemroot%\system32. (Image is square in aspect, it will scale but displayed size is 140x140px).
- Set as the screen saver in Windows Screen Saver Settings
Advanced usageTo set the timeout value for the countdown dialog (default is 25 minutes) create a registry key in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Autologout\timeout (DWORD)and specify the number of seconds. (NB: This registry setting is somewhere like
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Autologouton x64 bit systems).
Deploying on a Domain with Group Policy on a per machine basis
- Copy autologout.scr to %systemroot%\system32 on domain member.
- Create an (optional) logo.bmp file in %systemroot%\system32. on domain member.
- Create a new Group Policy
User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Control Panel -> Displayset
Screen Saver executable nameto
Screen Saver timeoutto the number of seconds before the main warning and countdown are displayed.
Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Group Policyset
User Group Policy loopback processing modeto Replace. This insures that the user policy is overridden on a machine basis (otherwise this is a user GPO and won't be applied).